Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fixing org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown KDE applications error on Ubuntu

Lately I've been frustrated by ALL of my KDE applications not working on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.

KNode, K3b, Dolphin, nothing.... All of those apps do not work on my laptop.

The error messages are very similar:

$ knode
<unknown program name>(6965)/: Communication problem with  "knode" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name org.kde.knode was not provided by any .service files" "

After searching through the Internet (and found nothing), I found the solution:

sudo rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-*

This will remove all folders beginning with '/var/tmp/kdecache-'

Now my KDE apps start just fine. :-)

It probably was a permission problem. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment